Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Make Creativity a Daily Choice

By Sharon Lee 

I don’t know about you, but I find that staying creative is one of the hardest things to do.  

Life has a predictable cycle of routines, responsibilities, meetings, deadlines, and obligations.  

And, frankly, I love much of it. There is something satisfying about having structure and knowing what needs to get done.  

But there’s a downside.  

When I go too long without being creative, I feel like a lesser version of myself. I’m still productive. I’m still accomplishing things. But something is missing. 

That’s because creativity isn’t something we can simply turn on when we need it. It’s a muscle. And like any muscle, it needs to be exercised.  

Creativity requires intention.  

It requires creating space to think differently, explore new ideas, and make unexpected connections, even when everything around us pushes us toward repetition.  

So, in this blog post I explain why I’m recommitting to staying creative, no matter what life puts in my path. And how you can too.

1. Stay curious

Read about topics outside your expertise.  

Talk to people who have different experiences and perspectives. Follow your curiosity even when there is no obvious connection to your work.  

The more diverse the inputs, the more interesting the ideas you can generate.

2. Protect time to think

Creativity needs space.  

Go for a long walk in the forest. Take a bike ride through the park. Sit somewhere without your phone and simply let your mind wander.  

Some of our best ideas emerge when we stop trying so hard to have them.

3. Embrace constraints

We often think creativity requires unlimited freedom.  

The opposite can be true.  

Constraints force us to find new approaches. Limited time, resources, or information can push us beyond the obvious solution and toward something more inventive.

4. Discuss your ideas

Don’t keep every idea in your head.  

Share your thinking with friends, colleagues, or people you trust. Someone else’s question or perspective can take an unfinished idea somewhere you never expected.  

Creativity is often collaborative.

5. Capture ideas wherever they happen

Great ideas rarely arrive when it’s convenient.  

Keep a place to capture thoughts, observations, questions, and interesting connections before they disappear. A notebook, notes app, or voice memo can become a surprisingly powerful creative tool.

6. Create before you consume

Before opening email, scrolling through social media, or consuming everyone else’s ideas, create something of your own.  

Write. Sketch. Think.  

Even 15 minutes can make a difference. Start the day by contributing something to the world rather than simply consuming what others have created.

7. Break your routine

Take a different route. Work from somewhere new. Try something you’ve never done before.  

Routine makes life easier, but breaking routine gives your brain new inputs, and new inputs create new possibilities. 

Final Thoughts

The goal isn’t to become more creative overnight. It’s to create the conditions where creativity can happen consistently.  

Because in a world designed to keep us busy, distracted, and consuming, staying creative is a choice.  

And I’m choosing creativity.  

Thanks for reading my blog post.  

Are you interested in becoming more creative? If so, feel free to get in touch. My email address is shamikodesign@gmail.com – I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment